We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
An important component of keeping guinea fowls is a warm, spacious aviary, made according to all the rules. Birds can live in open or closed pens. An aviary for guinea fowls can be made by hand. The main thing is to take into account all the nuances of the arrangement of the place of keeping and caring for the bird. Before construction, everything must be carefully planned in order to calculate the amount of material required.
So that the guinea fowls do not get sick and grow well, they need to create a chicken coop with a favorable climate. It was noticed that this bird prefers to lay eggs not in the nests, but in the place that it chooses itself. This creates certain inconveniences for the owners, so it is necessary to arrange everything so that later there would be no hassle with searching and collecting.
When building a pen, the following requirements must be taken into account:
- install the aviary in a secluded place;
- the size of the aviary should be at least 40x30x30 centimeters;
- protect securely with a fence and cover from above;
- the ground in the pen must be covered with hay or straw;
- equip the aviary in a well-ventilated place, but without drafts.
If you plan to keep poultry in an open pen, you need to equip it in a well-shaded place - under a tree or next to dense, tall bushes. The height of the walls must be at least 2 meters. Guinea fowls still need to be taught to return to the pen if they find themselves outside of it.
Types of aviaries
The aviary can be of two types: open and closed. Regardless of the type, it will not take up a large area, since the guinea fowl does not require a lot of space. The optimal size of the aviary: 1.5 meters in height, 50 cm in width and length. The first option is used for seasonal poultry keeping.
Open corral - an area fenced around the perimeter with a galvanized mesh. Birds stay in such an aviary for a certain time - this is its main difference from a closed type. The cage can be equipped in an area with grass that guinea fowls will peck. The land is covered with straw or hay, which is periodically changed. Features of the construction of an open-air enclosure:
- make beams only from metal pipes or wooden posts;
- do not use plastic materials;
- use only a strong mesh as a fence;
- make holes for beams only with a drill;
- Cover part of the enclosure so that the birds have a place to hide from the weather.
If the aviary is installed in an area with grass, then the feeders can be omitted. Be sure to equip drinking bowls. It is necessary to ensure that the birds have clean water all the time, especially in the heat. Use straw or hay as bedding.
The content of guinea fowls in an open enclosure and its arrangement is described in detail in the video at the link below:
Closed cages are used to keep guinea fowls throughout the season. Basically, they make a fenced transition from the poultry house to the aviary. Poultry breeders note that guinea fowls can easily tolerate even severe frosts. The roof is made of slate or polycarbonate, which is fixed with matte rivets. This material is resistant to high temperatures and cold, which ensures long-term operation of the enclosure.
The litter is changed every 1-2 months. This way the pen stays clean for a long time. Drinkers and feeders are equipped in the aviary. Guinea fowls make their own nests during the egg-laying period.
All the nuances of arranging a closed enclosure for guinea fowls can be found in the video at the link below:
Required tools and materials
Before starting the construction of the aviary, it is necessary to calculate the amount of material. To do this, it is advisable to first make a drawing, where to mark the dimensions of the pen. In addition to the material, you will need a tool with which the aviary will be erected. As a rule, construction requires:
- pipes or wooden stakes for supports with a diameter of at least 50x50 millimeters;
- mesh netting, the size of the cells of which should be 2.5x5 or 5x5 centimeters, for fencing;
- hinges, metal corner and gate latch;
- twine, tape measure and pegs for marking the corral;
- nails and screws;
Use metal material for the fence. Do not use plastic and wood, as it can be damaged by rodents.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
Cover the enclosure with polycarbonate or slate so that the structure will last a long time. Blind fencing is made of plywood or OSB.
How to make an aviary for guinea fowls with your own hands
Before starting the construction, it is necessary to make a markup and prepare the site where the corral will be erected. This is an important stage, since the service life of the structure depends on the correct execution. The main thing is to choose a flat, quiet, shaded place for this. Step-by-step instructions for building an aviary for guinea fowls:
- Fencing the site of the required size. They clean it of debris and level it.
- Make the markup. Pegs are installed in the corners, between which the rope is pulled.
- Every 1.5 meters, on all sides, they indicate the places where the supports will be installed, on which the mesh will be stretched.
- In the marked places, holes are made with a drill with a depth of 0.6 meters.
- A layer of gravel and sand is poured into each, 5 centimeters thick each.
- Install the rack and fill it with cement mortar.
- All supports are placed in a similar way and left for 3 days for the cement to harden.
- A mesh is pulled between the posts and fixed with wire or self-tapping screws.
- From below, the mesh is sprinkled with earth or fixed to a pre-installed strapping.
- They make the frame of the gate from a metal corner. Pull the netting on it, securely fix and install the latch.
- Hinges are installed on the support. Hang up the prepared wicket and check its progress.
- Cover the enclosure in whole or in part with a roof.
When building a closed pen, the north side is covered with plywood or OSB. The other sides are partially obstructed so that precipitation does not fall inside the enclosure.
The place where the birds are kept must be dry. When kept in an open pen, the bird should be cut off its wings, since the guinea fowls fly high enough.
The stages of building an aviary for guinea fowls can be viewed in the video at the link below:
Arrangement of a place for keeping
Guinea fowls are unpretentious in content. It is enough to equip the aviary in accordance with all the rules and install drinkers and feeders in it. At a height of about 0.5 meters from the ground, equip roosts that birds use for sleeping. The bedding layer should be at least 15 centimeters thick. The nuances of arranging a place for keeping guinea fowl:
- add slaked lime to the litter;
- guinea fowls need shade to ensure better egg production, which must be taken into account when choosing a place for a corral;
- install drinkers so that the bird cannot turn them over;
- the aviary must have good ventilation;
- make perches from tree branches;
- periodically level the litter;
- provide round-the-clock lighting using LED or incandescent lamps;
- in the absence of drafts and rainfall into the aviary, wall insulation is not required.
A greenhouse or hangar can be adapted for an aviary. Guinea fowls can hibernate in such enclosures. In this case, the litter should be at least 50 cm thick. It is not difficult to make an aviary for guinea fowls on your own, the main thing is to take into account the peculiarities of construction.